Saturday, February 6, 2010

January 2010 Netflix Report




























































January 2010 Netflix SummaryArrived at HomeReceived at NetflixDays at HomeMonthly Average Days at HomeCost Per Movie
The Crazies (1973) 1/06 1/13 7
The Comfort of Strangers 1/08 1/27 19
All That Jazz 1/14 1/27 13
The Hurt Locker 1/16 1/27 11
Hounddog 1/28 02/04 7
The Small Back Room 1/28 02/05 8
Splendor in the Grass 1/28 02/04 7
10.3 $2.65



Damn, only seven movies from Netflix this month? I’m slipping, gotta buck you and get going. Watched The Crazies because I heard it was being remade - pretty much what it sounded like it would be, fun but forgettable. Finally got around to watching All That Jazz - fantastic movie! I didn’t think I’d be able to buy Roy Scheider as a song-and-dance choreographer/director, but wow - he was amazing and this is easily one of the best movies I’ve seen in a while.

Finally saw The Hurt Locker and it may be the best war movie of recent vintage I’ve seen, and I think I’m now close to having seen all the big ones. Very understated (take a hint, Irwin Winkler - if you had taken Home of the Brave down a couple of dozen notches, it might have been a decent movie), and I would pair it with The Lucky Ones as perhaps the best two recent war movies, with Stop-Loss a third, but a distant third.

Coincidentally, soon after The Hurt Locker I watched The Small Back Room, which is an EOD tale from another place and war: England during World War II. Very good, very British, very detailed and technical war picture. I get the impression that it might be revered as one of the best and most accurate “bomb squad” movies by whoever out there has researched and watched movies like that in detail.

There wasn’t much to Hound Dog: the shock value got it all the publicity it deserved when it was being made. My one classic movie this month was Splendor in the Grass: very good, and very much a period piece, both in its setting - the 1920s - and when it was made - the early 1960s. It makes me want to watch more Natalie Wood movies - I might have to dig out my copy of This Property Is Condemned.

No comments: